Wednesday 2 March 2011

Award Title

I'd like to propose an award title
BAPP (dance teaching and dance in education)

I have chosen to include dance in education as well as dance teaching as this is the area where I plan to focus my inquiry and am keen to develop in the future.
However I'd like to see the creative curriculum developed within schools, through dance, music, drama and art. Another award title I could propose is;

BA Hons in Professional Practice (Creative Arts in Primary Education).

I have worked for 8 years as a dance teacher both in performing arts schools and various workshops and after school clubs. Alongside this I have worked in a mainstream Primary school in an academic setting and am keen to collaborate my knowledge and explore the positive affects on learning and the learning environment.
Has anyone else thought about their award title? What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jo.

    I like both of you proposed award titles, and think either would be relevant to what you do and want to go on to do.
    You’ve inspired me to start thinking more about mine! As you know I am also thinking along the lines of dance in education – but was unsure whether this title just feels too formal. I do teach dance within a formal school environment but I also teach in many other private and community settings…I love the idea of bringing the word ‘teaching’ into an award title as that is what I am currently doing and would like to go on to do further…. I need to have a good think about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the dance in education part of it but I'm not sure about the dance teaching part. Isn't that kind of summed up in dance in education? I might be totally wrong but I'm not sue I appreciate the difference. I also really like the second one. It sounds like an actual degree!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a really good point Mark!

    At first i really liked the idea of using the word teaching as it refers to what you do now, and i think the word education was making me just think of a school education and thats why it felt a bit formal. However i have looked up both the meanings and they both mean to impart knowledge, skills or values. So it would make more sense to just use one of them then.

    Thinking about it properly education is really not confined only to schools at all but is present in all things we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mark and Cerys for your comments. I think there is a fine line between dance teaching and dance in education, so maybe you are right- maybe only one is needed. I think i was trying to get across the fact that i teach dance and want to bring dance into formal education within schools.
    I spoke to Alan and he made a good point. That what we are doing now is only 1/3 of our degree. Can i really get away with 'dance in education' when 2/3 of my degree were performance based (musical theatre and dance)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you may need to also think about the difference between 'teaching' and 'education'. We might think if you had an 'education' ward that you had studied pedagogy and curriculum?

    Certainly (Dance) would be fine. You also do not want to cut off other possibilities that a more specific dance teaching title might suffer from?

    ReplyDelete