Sunday 14 November 2010

The Networked Professional

At the last campus session we began to explore the final part of this
module, The Networked Professional.
We were initially given 5 minutes to create a map of our current network.
I really had no idea how to approach this so I just began to write
down the different circles of people in my network, for example
friends in the profession, teachers, agents & casting directors...This
had no order or structure to it at all.
I remembered that in the past I had a conversation with a friend where
we'd categorised the types of friendships in our lives. I felt that
this would be a good way to bring some order to my chaotic network map.
Here is an enlarged version of what i doodled.

This concept revolves around the idea that there are people who you
receive from (mentor types), those you give to and those who you
equally give to and receive from (close friends who you can encourage).

The second part of the task was to share our ideas with another
person. I was paired with Nicholas who had a concise looking map and
had managed to make links between the people in his network. This idea
of connection later developed into a tube map. Check out Nikki,  Jo and
Nicholas' blog for more about that!
Whilst talking to Nicholas we came up with another way to look at our
network.

The idea behind this is that we are in the middle and there are
three circles around us. Inner circle- those in your close network (close friends and professionals on your level). The next circle is those who are important to your network but not people you would have a personal relationship with (casting directors, spotlight); and the outer circle represents those who are in your network in a purely professional capacity (someone who you may meet through a friend who is in the position you aspire to be in). Alan has named this 'The Ripple Effect'

The final part of the task was to work in groups of 3/4 to create a collaborative map that summarised everyone's ideas about their professional network and then give a 5 minute presentation.
I shared my doodles with the group and this was the skeleton for
our presentation. We began by looking at who and what
our networks consisted of and where they fitted into the structure we had created. This is what we came up with;

Receive

Casting Directors
Agents
Contacts book
Spotlight
Facebook
Teachers
People we meet with links to our desired job/industry

Give

Up and coming performers
Students
Younger friends
Charities

Equal

Friends in the industry or similar industries
Blogs
BAPP students
Past and present colleagues

We then began to look more closely into where and when these networks
are significant. We felt that networks are seasonal, as time goes by
your professional network will grow with you. This was most evident to me when we thought
about those who we give to. Four years ago I coached a 16 girl for dance school auditions, at the time she was someone in my network that I gave to. She has now completed her dance training and is working as a professional dancer in the West End. She has moved from being someone I knew on purely a
professional level (outer circle) to being a friend and someone who I could receive from as much as give to!
As we advance in our professional practice the number of people who we can give to will increase and the knowledge and experience we have to pass on will grow richer.

Adesola made a very valid point about our network not just being a
tool for us to get to where we want. I strongly agree, I think the
idea that we can give to others as much as we gain from our
professional network creates a healthy balance. At times we may be
able to act as more of a link between other people, by passing any opportunity for
personal gain other than being a good friend!
There has been a few occasions where a friend of mine, who runs a dance school, has been looking
for dance teachers and I have been able to connect her with someone I know
for a permanent job. Just the other day a friend of a friend called to ask for
dancers for a music video shoot that I was unable to do however i was able
to put him in touch with someone who I knew would be available for the job and appreciate the work!

Alan mentioned during the Plenary the importance of being a giver. 18 months ago I enrolled in a presenting course at GMA with Geoff Motley. He has been incredibly genuine and generous with his time long
after the course was complete. As a result I have been able to recommend others to his training course- hopefully resulting in more business for him!

There is a proverb that says 'The world of the generous gets larger and larger, the world of the
stingy gets smaller and smaller'

I think it's important to have a certain level of trust in your close network
but if we can be generous with our time and knowledge who knows where
it will lead?...
These are just my initial thoughts about my professional network and
look forward to uncovering more about the network I already have and
exploring ways of developing that network!

5 comments:

  1. We must have been typing at the same time..
    Once posting mine i read yours to find we had chosen a couple of the same points from the session to link to!
    I think its really good how you always provide an example of your own experiences and link it to your professional practice.I'll aim to remember to do that sometime.
    I'm a strong believe of give and your'll get back and you seemed to have hit the nail on the head with that proverb!
    'who knows where it'll lead!?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profesional Friendships

    I wanted to pick up on your point about generosity. My experience is that I often (but not always) reap what I sow. The return often comes from people I call 'professional friends'. Part of my professional network strategy is to nurture ‘professional friendships’. These are the people I try to develop non-hierarchical relationships with who often return help or favours. Thee are people that I will seek to help when they ask, sending them things I come across which I think will interest them. Now you cannot predict how and when they may help you. But I know I can rely on them to be thinking of me and what might help me. I do the same for them. Interestingly, these can be people in quite different points in their careers, more senior, less senior, even in unrelated fields. The point is that most people like to do things for generous people, and I think that’s the trick in developing professional friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan,

    Thanks for your comment. I particularly like what you mentioned about nuturing your 'professional friendships'. I guess these important relationships don't happen over night or without us taking time to craft our network and cultivate it once it is established. Putting a strategy behind my professional network is something i hadn't thought too much about but something i would definitely like to do more of.
    I also think there is such a sense of joy that comes with being generous with what you have and at times putting the needs of someone else above your own. Its actually very encouraging to hear about how you have used this principle in your professional network and what you have discovered (that you more often than not reap what you sow).

    ReplyDelete
  4. good, that's good. So professional friendships can be fulfilling (joyous if you like) and advances you both through a way of possibly getting work, but also how you might gain knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading your blog and it really helped in getting my thoughts started on networking.

    At first i accepted your theory that within our networks there are people that we receive from, people that we give to and people that we equally give and receive from. I think still think there is some truth to this concept but it also made me think that surely at some point in their existance a network must work both ways..that both parties would gain something from being in that network with each other? Not nessacerily a job or anything materialistic, maybe something like a sense of worth or recognition? (i have given some basic example on my Current Networks Blog)

    ReplyDelete