Sunday 7 November 2010

A line of Inquiry

Having taught dance for a number of years and also worked in primary
schools, I am fortunate enough to see how children learn and develop
in a classroom (with an academic structure) and in a dance studio (in
a predominately creative environment).
My line of inquiry was birthed from the question 'How can we foster an
optimum environment for children to learn both in a creative
environment and in core academic subjects?'
As I began to research this question my thoughts became like a bonsai
tree of inquiry! One question lead to another and sprouted off in
another direction.
I decided to journal these thoughts until I came up with one clear
line of inquiry to write about. My thoughts and journal lead me to the
question 'How does a child's emotional well being and emotional security
affect their ability to learn?

I began to wonder if a child is in a 'good' mood will they be able to access
learning more easily than one who is in a 'bad' mood.
I know from my own experiences as a learner and
in my professional practice that I find it more difficult to learn
enthusiastically if I'm feeling negative or if i am currently dealing with
a challenging situation.
I have researched and admire the work of Dr Gary Chapman
(http://www.garychapman.org/)
who has written books that centre around 'love languages'. The five primary
love languages being;
Physical touch (hugs, a pat on the back, hi 5)
Quality Time (spending time talking to someone)
Acts of service
Gifts
Words of affirmation

http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/
Chapman said that 'With an adequate supply of affection, the
child will likely develop into a responsible adult. Without that love,
he or she will be emotionally and socially retarded'. Could it also be
true that if a child is starved of sufficient emotional needs
they will also underachieve in an academic or creative learning environment?
He explores Dr Ross Campbell's (a psychiatrist who specializes in the
treatment of children and adolescents) idea that when ones emotional
needs are met and their 'love tank' is full, a child will develop
normally but when the love tank is empty the child will misbehave. It
almost goes without saying that a child's behaviour has a direct link
to their ability to focus and learn, in or out of the classroom.
Like in adults, each child will have a unique way to give and receive
love. Is it possible that if we were to discover the primary love
language of the children we teach, and use it, that it could have a
positive effect on their approach to learning and final outcome?
'Observe your children. Watch how they express love to others. That is
a clue to their love language. Take note of what they request of you.
Many times, their request will be in keeping with their own love
lamguage' (Chapman, G. The Five Love Languages, 2004)
I noticed there was a particular child in my dance class who would
constantly seek affirmation. After observing this behaviour I
questioned whether 'words of affirmation' could be his primary love
language. I wondered what the affect would be if maximize on every
opportunity to encourage him. Would he become more enthusiastic about
learning new and challenge dance moves?
This is something I'm going to build into my professional practice,
particularly when it comes to teaching over the next few months and
will reflect on and record my experiences.
Helping children to flourish and develop to the best of their ability
is something I'm extremely passionate about and look forward to seeing
what comes of these thoughts and theories!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post..
    I pictured your class's of Kids and their different types of love language!
    I'm going to open my eye's the different ways in which people and which types of the '5 love languages' I do/use.
    Next thing I need to do is get into Journal writing, do you do it on the go?or.. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo,

    Just thinking of my own line of inquiry and i thought i better read up on a few for some inspiration. I really enjoyed reading this blog and felt some connection as i had some problems in a class once. I was taken a GCSE class last year and i always wondered what frame of mind my class would be in. It always worried me as when one person was moody it affected the whole class and they were hard to work with. I wonder what the best way is to deal with this kind of environment?

    ReplyDelete