Friday 8 April 2011

Critical Reflection on Tools of Inquiry; Survey

Reflecting on the pilot survey

My initial thoughts about using a Survey as a research tool were extremely positive. I used SurveyMonkey to create the survey, which was simple to use. I have also seen how other people used and interpreted this tool. It was interesting to see how choice of colours and layout affected the way I felt about completing the survey.

I was pleased with the way my survey was presented and the order of my questions however I feel that I could have gone into more depth with some questions. A good example of an in depth survey is Mark's, his questions required a lot of thought and detail.

The results
SurveyMonkey is a great tool as the results are automatically and analysised and the percentages are calculated for you. I was pleased that 86.7% of the people who completed my survey included their email address and place of training. This is useful in order to contact people for interviews in the future!
Unfortunately only 8 people completed my survey and a few questions were skipped, therefore the results were inconclusive. Surveys are useful for collecting quantitative information; data, facts and figures.
I think that my line of inquiry will require a more qualitative approach to discover individuals thoughts, feelings and reasons behind the choices they make.

What would I improve;
-Include some more in-depth questions.
-Require an answer to each question or always include another option box, if that question is not relevant.
-Target a specific audience
-Email the link to people
-Send out a cover letter/email to explain what the survey is about and to ensure participants that their personal details will not be disclosed, in accordance with the data protection act of 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment